[fpc-devel] Allow record helper inheritance in Delphi mode

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 31 19:44:56 CEST 2017

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19332847/delphi-class-variable-going-out-of-scope-before-class-destructor-is-called

>> That should get solved once I reworked the unit initialization which is
the last real blocker for dynamically loading packages.

> What I particularly like is that you considered it as a bug and were open
for a discussion from the very beginning - even if the behavior was Delphi
compatible at that point. Not like Embarcadero closing eyes and ears until
they really had to solve it. All kudos to you and the FPC team :)

Though to be fair the team in general and me especially can be rather
stubborn on other topics ;)

> Maybe Embarcadero changes their record inheritance policy as well at some
point - especially because they introduced record helpers for primitive
types (like TStringHelper). Not having inheritance for them forbids easy
extension of them.

I seriously doubt that they really care about that. They want to add fancy
thing X and awesome feature Y, but don't care about such things. Especially
with there being fewer and fewer compiler developers for Delphi around...

Regards,
Sven