[fpc-devel] simpleipc issues

Ondrej Pokorny lazarus at kluug.net
Tue Sep 29 13:35:19 CEST 2015

On 29.09.2015 12:52, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> I added it to fpc/packages/fcl-base. It compiles OK, there are no
> dangerous dependencies except sysutils and classes.

Thanks!

> Juha, if you want to implement the single IDE instance, then I would
> like to ask you to implement this in custapp.pp. This is useful
> functionality for all kinds of applications, and is since very long on
> my todo list.

I don't think it is needed (see comments further down).

> I think the functionality can be split out in 2 parts:
> - Make sure a single instance is running.
The IPC does it by design - you start a server and you have the check,
so you get it. IMO it's not needed to make another component above
AdvancedIPC with exactly the same functionality but different name.

> - Sending messages to running instance.
Again, IPC does it.

Actually, you can achieve "single instance" with AdvancedIPC with only a
few lines of code (I think the simplest code would be under 10 lines).
Every application can have different needs about the "single" instance
so a customization is needed anyway (e.g. passing over other command
line parameters etc.)

Juha, I changed the advancedipc.pas unit (this one from the mailing list
is newer than from the bug report). I can prepare a new patch for the
bug report.

Ondrej