[fpc-devel] simpleipc issues

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Sep 29 12:52:56 CEST 2015

On Tue, 29 Sep 2015, Tomas Hajny wrote:

> On Tue, September 29, 2015 12:30, Juha Manninen wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 3:03 PM, Ondrej Pokorny <lazarus at kluug.net> wrote:
>>> Michael Van Canneyt & Tomas Hajny & everybody who wants to test:
>>>
>>> I prepared a fully compatible AdvancedIPC unit. See the attachment.
>>
>> Michael and Tomas, I am planning to copy AdvancedIPC temporarily to
>> Lazarus sources.
>> If you are planning changes for it, I can wait.
>> The temporary copy does not need to be identical but it should be API
>> compatible.
>> With it we can finally implement the single IDE instance feature
>> without depending on the latest FPC libs.
>>   http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=8051
>
> Unfortunately, I didn't have time for testing it yet, sorry. :-( If you
> can wait until end of this week, I'll make sure to do so during the
> weekend at the latest.

I added it to fpc/packages/fcl-base. It compiles OK, there are no dangerous
dependencies except sysutils and classes.

Juha, if you want to implement the single IDE instance, then I would like
to ask you to implement this in custapp.pp. This is useful functionality
for all kinds of applications, and is since very long on my todo list.

I think the functionality can be split out in 2 parts:
- Make sure a single instance is running.
- Sending messages to running instance.
The first can be implemented in custapp, I am not sure about the second.
At first sight, I think that this should be possible.

Michael.