[fpc-devel] Suggestion: reference counted objects

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Sep 21 21:36:53 CEST 2014

In our previous episode, Boian Mitov said:
> Every memory management system has a manual part, even the M$/Java GC has
> element of it (the dreadful Disposable pattern to name one).
> There is a huge difference however. ARC requires in general less coding for
> the same result.
> Less code in general is cheaper to develop, debug, read and maintain. It is
> a simple business formula actually (and as businessman I need to calculate
> this).

I work with Delphi professionally too, and I don't really notice allocation
as time costs. It's negiable. Occasionally (in the six months magnitude) I run the app
through fastmm, but that time is general cleanup, so even not entirely the
cost of memory management.

I can't find any basis for your allegations in my work.