[fpc-devel] Suggestion: reference counted objects

Boian Mitov mitov at mitov.com
Sun Sep 21 19:13:12 CEST 2014

Every memory management system has a manual part, even the M$/Java GC has
element of it (the dreadful Disposable pattern to name one).
There is a huge difference however. ARC requires in general less coding for
the same result.
Less code in general is cheaper to develop, debug, read and maintain. It is
a simple business formula actually (and as businessman I need to calculate
this).
There is also the old saying "What is the only line of code where you can't
have a bug?" with the obvious answer - "The one you don't write." ;-) .
So on the balance sheet ARC is a cheaper and in general easier to maintain
form of manual memory management, and my experience with it (Mainly
interfaces - almost everything we do is interfaced nowadays), confirms that
100%.

With best regards,
Boian Mitov

Mitov Software