[fpc-devel] MIPS big-endian program starts but does nothing

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Sat Sep 6 20:03:37 CEST 2014

Reinier Olislagers wrote:
> On 06/09/2014 12:20, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> I think the previous discussion wound down with the consensus that the
>> distro had custom libraries, possibly derived from ulibc, and that the
>> compiler etc. would have to be specially built for those. I was hoping
>> to set a Qemu-based system to investigate, but didn't get anywhere due
>> to other commitments.
>
> Ok. It's running openwrt (also so that may well be the case; however I
> copied over [1] the libs [2] from the device to my desktop, so that
> should be a step in the right direction.... but presumably I need to
> match the cross binutils [3] ld with the uclibc ld one?!?

This might be completely unhelpful, but I'll post it anyway just in case
it's perversely relevant.

I had FPC running on SPARC under Solaris 10, and investigated getting it
running on Solaris 8. The problem turned out to be that a system library
(let's say it was libc.so, but I'm working from memory) was symlinked to
libc.so.2 on Solaris 10 but libc.so.1 on Solaris 8, and the linking
stage was resolving the symlink rather than leaving it until the program
was run.

In the end I did something like copying libc.so.2 to libc.so.1 and
changing libc.so to point to the latter. I built FPC (possibly just
ppcsparc) and copied that to the v8 system, then restored the original
symlink. At that point FPC ran OK on v8.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk