[fpc-devel] VMS Pascal Compiler mode

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Oct 27 18:35:30 CET 2014

Richard Apthorp wrote:
> Hi Sven,
>
> Actually found that HP have a documented list:
> http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82final/6083/6083pro_032.html#extensions_app
> I'm not sure I feel qualified to change the compiler but as I work on this porting project I will be creating a list of the main changes which I could then decide if beneficial to create a new compiler mode for (with a lot of help I hope!!!)
> Thanks again for your advice, Richard.

One useful thing might be to create a test case for each extension as
you find that FPC (in the default mode ** ) doesn't handle it, and to
submit it as a bug for discussion. That would enable all the "tentative
VMS mode" activity to be at least cross-linked.

I see from your reference that the compiler extends ANSI/ISO Pascal, but
there's no indication of whether, when it was written, it was based on
Jensen & Wirth or the somewhat later ISO standard. Was it written from
scratch, or was it initially based on something like the P6 compiler
which I believe was on some DEC systems?

** Anybody: what's the state of the -Miso mode? I don't see it in the -h
output.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk