[fpc-devel] fp without X

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Mar 17 11:46:05 CET 2014

waldo kitty wrote:
> i'm not sure this is the proper area for this... if it is not, please
> point me to the proper list...
>
> i've a ubuntu system that i'm trying to run fp on... X does *not* start
> automatically... i'm working from the virtual console(s) 99% of the
> time... what i'm seeing and trying to solve is the frames in fp are
> showing up as diamond characters... after i got the help stuff loading
> properly, i noted that when i switched away from the editor frame, it
> showed the single line frame characters and the help frame was all
> diamonds... closing the help and returning to the editor switched the
> editor frame back to diamonds...

There might be something related to the  locale  command relevant to
this. As a quick test I've just fired up fp on a Debian (non-x86)
console and framing etc. was OK, I see LANG set to en_GB.UTF-8

I'm uneasy about things like console and X codepages, and the
corresponding keyboard mappings. One problem is that when they're
changed they tend to be system-wide, another is that things like
available founts and codepages can depend on how much of X11 has been
installed. Put another way, your console might be broken /because/ X
isn't installed, not /despite/ it.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk