[fpc-devel] Multithreading under DOS (was: [Lazarus] Why development remains constant for msdos?)

Frederic Da Vitoria davitofrg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 10:05:22 CEST 2013

2013/9/25 Tomas Hajny <XHajT03 at hajny.biz>

> If the goal is writing multi-threaded applications for existing pure DOS
> machines, then using features of a special DR-DOS version may not be
> relevant at all, because it imposes a considerable additional restriction
> (it is not like that potential applications developed this way may be
> simply run under the existing installations, but users would need to
> install this particular version first).
>
> If the goal is running light-weight multi-threaded FPC-compiled
> applications on old/weak hardware using free operating systems (which may
> need to be installed to support this application - as it would be the case
> with DR-DOS too), then there are probably better options (e.g. some
> fine-tuned Linux distribution).
>
> If the goal is converting previously existing TP/BP applications written
> for DOS to become multi-threaded, porting to a different target is
> probably still easier, because the multi-threaded design will require
> changes to the application anyway.

If the fpc application is completely alone, you are probably right
(although you should also take into account learning linux, which may not
be easy for everybody). But the fpc application could be part of an
existing set of applications, in which case changing the OS could be
impossible. This is a purely theoretical observation, I haven't developed
for PC/MS-DOS or been using it for years.

--
Frederic Da Vitoria
(davitof)

http://www.april.org