[fpc-devel] cpstrrtl/unicode branch merged to trunk

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Mon Sep 9 13:21:09 CEST 2013

On 09/07/2013 05:22 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> This means that any AnsiString variable can contain any encoding, not
> only the declared one? What's the purpose of specially typed
> AnsiStrings then, and the difference vs. RawByteString?

IMHO  ( :-) :-) ) specially typed Strings are _very_ useful, as they
allow the user to define the encoding he wants certain operations to
take place in.

AFAIK ( :-) :-)   ) RawByteString (in Delphi) don't ever trigger
automatic conversion.

Now my opinion is that FPC (being much more prone to be used with
multiple encoding types that the Windows-centric Delphi - which (as has
been point out here) even is decently buggy when used for UTF-8 -
_should_ _additionally_ feature a versatile fully dynamically encoded
type (which does trigger auto-conversion _when_necessary_ ) and
implement things ling TStrings and it's siblings using same.

-Michael