[fpc-devel] cpstrrtl/unicode branch merged to trunk

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 7 15:00:59 CEST 2013

On 07.09.2013 01:39, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>>> I'm not sure how efficient a RawByteString version ever can be. By
>>> default it has to convert the string into Unicode (Delphi: UTF-16),
>>>

>> No, see Sven's answer.
>
> You can safely remove the RawByteString versions, when the
> compiler-generated conversions into UnicodeString and back afterwards
> will do exactly the same.

We do NOT want to force UnicodeString upon every target. The world not
only consists of Windows! So for those cases where the RTL is very
likely to be compiled with String=AnsiString (e.g. DOS, OS/2 or the
embedded targets when reference counted strings are used) we want to
reduce the conversion overhead by providing them the possiblity to call
single byte versions (the RawByteString ones) directly.

Regards,
Sven