[fpc-devel] Delphi anonymous methods

Paul Ishenin paul.ishenin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 10:41:47 CET 2013

05.03.13, 17:14, Sven Barth wrote:

> Just for your information: I will implement generic methods will full
> requirement for "generic" and "specialize" in mode ObjFPC (and no, you
> can't change my opinion on that).

Yes, I didn't expect my mails will suddenly change your opinion. And
even if they would change there are enough fpc team members who will
protected objfpc generics :) I only hope to stop duplicate
implementation of other delphi features.

> And regarding backwards compatibility: we are not only talking about FPC
> and Lazarus. There are enough people around that use FPC's generic
> syntax and that alone is reason enough to keep it.

Enough - how much? 50 or 100 projects? What will be needed to make them
work with dephi syntax? Remove word generic and specialize?

> Especially those that don't care about
> Delphi compatibility. Also it seems that those that like to develop in
> Delphi are the only ones complaining...

Think about component and applications developers who need to care about
FPC and Delphi. Less incompatibilities FPC will have more 3rd party
components and applications it will get.

I remember author of Total Commander who had failed to port his project
to FPC + Laz because of many incompatilities in both projects.

I remember Fib+ developer who stoped his effort to port component to FPC
after some found incompatibilities.

There is nothing good in incompatibilities.

Best regards,
Paul Ishenin