[fpc-devel] Delphi anonymous methods

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 5 10:14:08 CET 2013

Am 05.03.2013 09:59, schrieb Paul Ishenin:
>> Just to say one thing clear: I will NOT drop FPC's generic
>> implementation and I'll revert every commit that tries to do so, because
>
> Sven, relax - FPC is not your own project and not mine. We can't
> simple commit or revert what we want.

I'm sorry that it sounded a bit harsh, but I consider the topics
backwards compatibility and clean language design very serious. And
parsing Delphi's syntax is everything, but not clean...

>> not only do we have to keep backwards compatibility, but the Delphi
>> syntax is a nightmare to parse.
>
> Yes, it is hard to parse but anyway you need to implement it. So this
> argument if false. And regards backward compatibility - it is not too
> much places to fix: some in FPC itself and some in Lazarus components.

Just for your information: I will implement generic methods will full
requirement for "generic" and "specialize" in mode ObjFPC (and no, you
can't change my opinion on that).

And regarding backwards compatibility: we are not only talking about FPC
and Lazarus. There are enough people around that use FPC's generic
syntax and that alone is reason enough to keep it.

>> Mode ObjFPC is not for Delphi compatiblity. It's there to implement a
>> cleaner variant of the (Object) Pascal language (and Michael wrote), and
>> if that means higher maintenance burden, so be it.
>
> That cleaner variants split pascal for nothing - to make 3-5
> developers happy.

There seem to be enough persons that use mode ObjFPC and its generics
and seem to be happy about it. Especially those that don't care about
Delphi compatibility. Also it seems that those that like to develop in
Delphi are the only ones complaining... or do you hear from any MacPas
developer that mode ObjFPC does not support "return", "c" or "$ifc"?

Regards,
Sven