[fpc-devel] for-in-index loop

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri Jan 25 10:11:37 CET 2013

Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> hat am 25. Januar 2013 um 09:26
geschrieben:
>[...]
> You are totally missing the point.
>
> Finding a use case to justify a feature is not difficult.
> I could probably find some more use cases to justify other 'missing features'.
>
> The point is: it is not because it can be done, that it must be done.
>
> The point is that with every 'feature' added, the language becomes
> more and more ugly.
>
> My main worry is that Object Pascal, which used to be a beautiful,
> easy to learn language is becoming a horrible, complicated, monster of a
> langauge.

In general: +1

Even the common syntax highlighters have trouble. I don't know if Delphi's
syntax highlighter understand their language fully.

But I must admit the for-in-loop makes code easier to read. I see it with
beginners and people coming from other languages. They instantly understand it
and use it.
Of course this is only about the loop itself, not how an enumerator is
created/declared. That is difficult to understand.

> In large part due to Borland/Inprise/Embarcadero going downhill after D7.
>
> This proposal adds once more to the uglyness and complication.
>
> As for the feature being present in some other languages,
> I stand corrected; Next time I will be more careful in my statements.

Please keep up the good work and question any new feature.

Mattias