[fpc-devel] "embedded" again

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Jan 15 11:37:36 CET 2013

On 01/15/2013 11:22 AM, Henry Vermaak wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 10:45:29AM +0100, Michael Schnell wrote:
>> (c) seems the most appropriate way to allow for decent debugging
>> performance, but seemingly nobody yet decently tried (or wrote
>> instructions to) to get Lazarus running remote gdb via TCP/IP.
> One of the options in the lazarus debugger settings is "GDB debugger
> through SSH".
I'll try to find instructions on this and try to install the gdb "stub"
on the QNAP and test this combination  ASAP. (SSH already is in place on
the QNAP.)
> Remote debugging with gdb on the command line also works
> well for many years.
Do you mean independently of Lazarus and fpc ?

I already did test this with C programming and I all the time use
Eclipse to debug embedded software via a USB-JTAG adapter which AFAIK
for gdb and the system that controls gdb (here: Eclipse, but could be
Lazarus as well) is identically to remote debugging via ICP/IP..
> You're not "stuck".
Of course I am not really stuck. :-) :-) .

The program already does work nicely on the Linux PC server and I
suppose I in fact don't need to debug it  on the ARM. I just need to
compile it. And here I have the choice to install fpc on the QNAP
(should be possible: I already successfully did install gcc). But I
understand that installing fpc on the ARM is done by cross-compiling the
compiler on a PC. So it seems even easier to cross-compile the user
program itself. Here it should be even better to do that using Lazarus,
which is installed on the Linux PC, anyway.

-Michael