[fpc-devel] BBB / PRUS / M3 and fpc

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Dec 4 10:54:42 CET 2013

On 12/03/2013 09:26 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Hmm. What with ZPU, LLVM, asm.js, Java bytecode, .NET CLI and no doubt
> others, what's needed is some universally-agreed meta-VM or at least a
> meta-representation. Tree-Meta, anybody?

Nice try. :-)

We also could agree upon a universal programming language and dump all
at least 1000 others :-(

In fact, the target of those VMs seems to be rather different.

ZPU is especially small. It just defines an extremely simple processor
with some 20 or so instructions.

IIRC, .NET CLI comes with an rtl definition that describes anything you
can do with a computer including most of it's peripherals.

I feel that the big time of CLI already is over, even though I did like
the idea of such an OS- and architecture- independent, fast executing
(though lowly loading) byte code.

Java and javascript seems to be the winner, even though we seem to agree
that the inventors of javascript should be publicly flogged.

I bow to the FireFox programmers who succeeded in creating their
extraordinarily fast javascript VM and now are on the verge to some
success with the FireFox OS for cell phones based on that engine.

-Michael
(who mostly does Pascal and C and thus hates PHP, which is unsimilar to
either for no obvious reason.)