[fpc-devel] BBB / PRUS / M3 and fpc

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Dec 3 14:34:05 CET 2013

Travis Siegel wrote:
> While we're on the topic of proprietary processors.  I have been idly
> wondering how difficult it would be to port fpc to generate code for
> another processor.  It's from parallax, and is an 8-core chip, running
> at 80MHZ, but can be overclocked to 100MHZ with another timing crystal
> which they also sell.  It has two different types of programming
> languages.  One is assembler for that particular brand of cpu, and the
> other one is a language that is kind of a cross between python and
> basic.  They have ported gcc so it generates code for the propeller
> boards.  Any idea how much trouble it would be to hack fpc to generate
> code for it?

Allowing that most users seem to be happy to use Parallax's proprietary
tools, and that the assembler is very much geared to supporting their
BASIC-like high-level language, and that the memory provision is fairly
meager, it might be more trouble than it's worth.

Isn't there a new chip in the offing with more RAM space etc?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk