[fpc-devel] Considerations about observer [was: Free Pascal 2.6.2 rc1]

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Nov 28 11:37:36 CET 2012

On 28 Nov 2012, at 09:23, Vincent Snijders wrote:

> 2012/11/28 <michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be>
>> It IS a big change. There is production code out there that uses
>> this,
>> and this is an incompatible change.
>
> Then Luiz is right on time with his proposal, with the frist release
> candidate of the first release that contains this feature.

Personally, I think a release candidate is too late. A release
candidate freezes all interfaces (even a beta release does so already,
normally). Generally the only fixes still performed afterwards are for
blocking crashers/failures, major security holes or build issues. I do
believe that maybe this functionality was put in a release too soon
after being committed to trunk, given that it changes the interface of
the base units and hence the changes are more or less cemented once
they are released. But that's a separate issue, which at best can be
taken into account in the future.

Jonas