[fpc-devel] More on freepascal armhf porting attempt, some progress made but now stuck.

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Sun Mar 11 17:31:29 CET 2012

Am 11.03.2012 15:37, schrieb Jonas Maebe:

> On 11 Mar 2012, at 15:14, Florian Klaempfl wrote:
>
>> Am 11.03.2012 13:22, schrieb Jonas Maebe:
>>> * I'm don't think that requiring yet another different ARM
>>> compiler binary for this is the proper way. There's already
>>> enough confusion as it is with ppcarm variants.
>>
>> But isn't this caused by the fact that we have the same executable
>> name while it generates different code?
>
> Yes.
>
>> I currently think that having even arm/armeb/armel/armhf as cpu
>> types is the way to go. This allows also to have units for all four
>> flavours on one system. Currently we simply don't support the same
>> target cpu but different abi in any way in the build system.
>
> We also don't support an RTL compiled with -Cp386, -Cppentium,
> -Cppentium2, -Cppentium2, -Cppentiumm, -Cfx86, -Cfsse2 and/or -Cfsse3
> on the same system.

True, but they are not different abis, debian does not treat them
different either.

> For ARM hard float, you will also need different
> sets of units depending on the exact kind of VFP cpu you have (unless
> you always target the lowest common denominator -- if something like
> that even exists for all VFP variants, since ARM is not that big on
> backward compatibility and they have their own standard of encoding
> the entire ABI, target cpu and all other details into attributes
> inside every generated object file so that the linker can verify the
> compatibility).

But the abi stays on all hard float platforms the same? Indenpendent of
the instruction set.

> Whether it's ABI or minimally required target cpu, the part that
> causes the trouble is that you need a different set of units. I don't
> think that renaming the compiler binary just for this particular case
> is the right approach.

Since the same compiler executable cannot run on the other platforms, I
think naming them differently is reasonable.

In general, I'd take the debian architecture scheme as measure.