[fpc-devel] Re: Class field reordering

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Jul 22 11:51:58 CEST 2012

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012, Ivanko B wrote:

> Alternatives we present are discarded as sub-optimal or not to your liking.
> Let me recapitulate:
>
> 1. You reject my solution for TField.
> 2. For TCollection.FItemClass I presented an alternative for your problem.
> 3. TParam.Bound turned out not to be a problem at all.
> ==============
> True but it relates to old issues, but there may be future issues
> (subjects to wait until get fixed) - Martin, Graeme are mainly
> bothered by them - whether it'll be possible to fix them in 1..2 days
> (customer etc requirements) and in such manner that not to rebuild FPC
> at developer's side.

If you find a problem to a bug, you can submit a patch.

Martin has frequently done so, so has Graeme.
I always thank people for bugs they report or even fix.

I do not recall us refusing bug fixes.

What Martin currently does is not asking for bug fixes.
He requests fundamental changes to the base classes,
which he needs to implement some features in the
particular way that he chose.

That is a completely different story.

I can understand his desire to implement new features,
which is why I offer to help thinking of solutions.

In some harmless cases this solution may well be
promoting a field to protected. In others, it will
not, for reasons I have explained elsewhere.
I judge that on an individual case basis.

It is up to him to accept or reject the offered solutions.

Michael.