[fpc-devel] Changing Windows API A routines in SysUtils to W in Windows NT

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Feb 7 12:20:12 CET 2012

In our previous episode, Hans-Peter Diettrich said:
> IMO a more radical solution is desireable, WRT Win9x. Did anybody test
> already, how FPC/Lazarus apps behave on such a system, which does not
> support themes etc., and does not even support Unicode without system
> updates?
>
> I'd split the Win32 target into WinNT (W) and Win9x (A), so that the
> users can decide whether to support Win9x at all.

That depends on decisions still to be made. If we also support 1-byte RTL,
it will still be on the level of winNT.

But I do think that a win9x vs winnt split is unavoidable in time. Specially
since otherwise one gets in the current situation that win9x is occasionally
fixed for a release, but in reality constantly broken in between.