[fpc-devel] Changing Windows API A routines in SysUtils to W in Windows NT

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Tue Feb 7 08:09:18 CET 2012

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> SysUtils for Windows utilizes only A Windows APIs, while it could use
> W APIs in Windows NT. The attached patch starts correcting improving
> the situation.
>
> Advantages of the patch:
>
> * Allows for unicode file names in TStringList.LoadFromFile if you
> install paswstrings as the unicode manager.
>
> Disadvantages of the patch:
>
> * None that I can imagine.

IMO a more radical solution is desireable, WRT Win9x. Did anybody test
already, how FPC/Lazarus apps behave on such a system, which does not
support themes etc., and does not even support Unicode without system
updates?

I'd split the Win32 target into WinNT (W) and Win9x (A), so that the
users can decide whether to support Win9x at all.

DoDi