[fpc-devel] Forwarded message about FPC status

Leif Ekblad leif at rdos.net
Sun Dec 23 11:12:42 CET 2012

IMO, I wouldn't support wide-character (UnicodeString) strings for anything
new.
In the beginning the wide-character string had the advantage of being able
to represent
all characters with 2 bytes, but this is no longer the case. I would switch
to UTF-8
instead and keep characters 1 byte long. A switch to UTF-8 only affects a
small amount of the code-base, and doesn't break string references.

In fact, I introduced UTF-8 in my OS recently, and it was easy to do. So not
supporting wide-character strings does not mean you must keep an old
ansi state.

Leif Ekblad