[fpc-devel] Please include gmp.dll in Win32 distribution of FPC 2.6.2 and later

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 19:50:29 CET 2012

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 9:47 PM, Tomas Hajny <XHajT03 at hajny.biz> wrote:
> On 2 Dec 12, at 16:45, Alexander Klenin wrote:
>> I am not sure which options do you mean,
>> I refer to the dll mentioned here: http://wiki.freepascal.org/gmp
>
> I meant multiple 2.6.2 installers (in particular, if we as the
> official FPC site provide also an alternative special package
> including the DLL in addition on our FTP).
As I said, IMHO it would be simpler to just include gmp.dll in the "bin"
directory, which already contains significant number of utilities
like "rm.exe" and "make.exe" for quite similar reasons.

>> Even if I persuade the jury of the final stage to use
>> non-standard distribution,
>> all preliminary stages (with approx. total of 5000 pupils
>> participating) will still use standard distribution.
>
> Do the preliminary stages also watch if the pupil hasn't downloaded
> an additionally required DLL? Moreover, if the pupils don't know GMP
> themselves, would they be able to use it without additional
> documentation, etc. If they know it, they'd probably know also where
> to get it from, right (and if the official jury doesn't stand in the
> way, what is the problem)?
>
> Anyway, if the pupils are taught that open source programming implies
> using just the official distribution package of your programming
> language, something is wrong in the setup anyway...

Heh, you underestimate organization level and seriousness of
programming contests.
Participants use computers with fully identical, carefully chosen
software setup.
Internet connection is off, participants are strictly forbidden to
bring any kind of information
storage, from books to non-empty sheets of paper to flash drives, and
any electronic devices.
Any participant who is caught HAVING (not even using) a phone is
immediately disqualified.
The rules are partially mandated and checked by government agencies.
The prizes, for high school contests, are usually free education in
any Russian university,
and for student contests -- basically immediate employment in any
software company,
from Google and Facebook to IBM and Yandex (the latter is the top
Russian search engine provider).

--
Alexander S. Klenin