[fpc-devel] Please include gmp.dll in Win32 distribution of FPC 2.6.2 and later

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Sun Dec 2 18:47:53 CET 2012

On 2 Dec 12, at 16:45, Alexander Klenin wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Tomas Hajny <XHajT03 at hajny.biz> wrote:
> >> As for fairness, the usual argument is "just solve problems in
> >> Java/Python",
> >> which is exactly what I am trying to prevent :)
> >
> > Who defines what is the right file to choose if there are multiple
> > options?
> I am not sure which options do you mean,
> I refer to the dll mentioned here: http://wiki.freepascal.org/gmp

I meant multiple 2.6.2 installers (in particular, if we as the
official FPC site provide also an alternative special package
including the DLL in addition on our FTP).

> > We could probably create a special distribution package with a
> > 'gmp' suffix including that library on our FTP server. It would not become
> > part of our standard ("mainstream") distribution, but maybe it solves your
> > issue anyway?
> Unlikely. Even if I persuade the jury of the final stage to use
> non-standard distribution,
> all preliminary stages (with approx. total of 5000 pupils
> participating) will still use standard distribution.

Do the preliminary stages also watch if the pupil hasn't downloaded
an additionally required DLL? Moreover, if the pupils don't know GMP
themselves, would they be able to use it without additional
documentation, etc. If they know it, they'd probably know also where
to get it from, right (and if the official jury doesn't stand in the
way, what is the problem)?

Anyway, if the pupils are taught that open source programming implies
using just the official distribution package of your programming
language, something is wrong in the setup anyway...

Tomas