[fpc-devel] Unicode resource strings

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Aug 22 16:58:10 CEST 2012

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote on Wed, 22 Aug 2012:

> Accessing a 100k of files (filenames to be exact) in a UTF-8
> environment (Linux), which must all be stored in a UTF-16 string type.
> That's lots and lots of encoding conversions right there - in a tight
> loop.

It's nevertheless a bad example, because even with the fastest SSD all
those conversions will probably be hidden by I/O and memory latency.
Even if you would implement something like the Unix "find" or "ls"
programs, they would be more likely to be limited by I/O and all sorts
of file/directory attribute lookups than code page conversions of file
names.

Jonas