[fpc-devel] Unicode resource strings

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Wed Aug 22 14:15:10 CEST 2012

Michael Schnell schrieb:
> On 08/21/2012 02:53 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> http://blogs.embarcadero.com/jtembarcadero/2012/08/20/xe3-and-beyond/
> Other than politics, the big news regarding technology seems to be that
> Objects (or whatever) seem to get reference counted and thus I
> understand ".Free" gets obsolete (like with Prism). Without assessment -
> this is a huge move for a native code compiler. If FPC will follow, this
> sounds like a lot of work.

I don't see much work here. The code for handling interface references
exists, it only has to be applied to the new TObject type, too.

More work is required in applications, because the sequence of
destructor calls may change. I'm not sure whether it *really* will be
possible to remove all ".Free" calls. In a GC environment it turned out
that explicit finalization of objects frequently *still* is required,
just to prevent trouble caused by random desctruction sequences. See
Wikipedia...

DoDi