[fpc-devel] Unicode resource strings

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 12:29:10 CEST 2012

On 20/08/12 10:22, Martin Schreiber wrote:
> On Monday 20 August 2012 11:10:27 Marco van de Voort wrote:
>> I'm starting to believe the hard break is the only serious option.
>
> My opinion: Do what you want with RTL and FCL but optimize the compiler so it
> is possible to build optimal frameworks for different requirements.

+1

Get the compiler to decently support Unicode. At least the public can
then build on that however they want. The FPC RTL can then later be
mangled to be a delphi clone - or leave it to other projects to
implement there own RTL's.

At the moment the Delphi-compatibility arguments is holding FPC back in
the stone ages. All the advantages of FPC is starting to fall away.
Delphi hasn't done anything major in years (Embarcadero simply buy out
other projects and launch it as their own in the next Delphi version -
which is a disaster too). And with all this "delphi compatibility"
arguments, the FPC project wants to be one step behind that. Crazy! Like
Martin with MSEgui, I would rather push fpGUI & tiOPF forward by
implementing my own "unicode rtl" or required functions/classes if I must.

The "delphi compatibility" is purely a myth too. FPC isn't compatible
with a single Delphi version (except maybe the 10 year old Delphi 7).
For any newer Delphi versions, it has bits of this, bits of that... I
wouldn't call that "compatible".

So lets try and keep the "delphi compatibly" out of this discussion of
the FPC Compiler and Unicode support.

Regards,
   - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/