[fpc-devel] Breaking change in FPC 2.6.1

Martin Schreiber mse00000 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 06:58:01 CEST 2012

On Wednesday 25 April 2012 21:43:30 Marco van de Voort wrote:
> In our previous episode, Marcos Douglas said:
> > > Done, trunk r21037. Affected were tdataset and bufdataset (conversion
> > > between Pbufbookmark and tbytes).
> >
> > What about 2.6.1, will change in a few days too?
>
> When it is sufficiently tested or when I give up waiting. (typically 6-8
> weeks).

I strongly recommend to revert the type of TDataSet.Bookmark to TBookmarkStr
in FPC 2.6.1 (fixes_2_6) and to change type of TDataSet.Bookmark  = tbytes in
FPC 2.7.1 only.
I invite the FPC 2.6.1 users to write here if they like such breaking changes
in fixes_2_6 or not so Marco can make a well-founded decision.

At least TDataSet.Bookmark  = TBookmark should be reverted to
TDataSet.Bookmark  = TBookmarkStr immediately so FPC 2.6.1 users  don't have
to change their code from
"
var
 bm: tbookmarkstr;
[...]
 bm:= <tdataset>.bookmark;
 //do something with <tdataset>
 <tdataset>.bookmark:= bm; //restore DB cursor
"
"
var
 bm: tbookmark;
[...]
 bm:= <tdataset>.bookmark;
 try
  //do something with <tdataset>
  <tdataset>.bookmark:= bm; //restore DB cursor
 finally
  <tdataset>.freebookmark(bm); //avoid memory leak
 end;
"
for several weeks. Please note, it affects *all* user code with
TDataset.Bookmark the problem is not internal to the toolkits only.

Martin