[fpc-devel] Unicode support (yet again)

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Sep 14 12:08:31 CEST 2011

In our previous episode, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho said:
> And why would the interfaces change in the other proposal?

> It is only
> 1 more overloaded option for the routines,

Which is just 1 more interface change. And for something that is a temporary
workaround.

That is what I like on Mattias proposal, it is mostly hidden in
implementation, and the declaration and setting of the "manager" can have a
lot of platform  and deprecated directives
around it to make it clear that it won't last, and it is not just for
lazarus. I assume it is windows only.

But I really do wonder if this is necessary, since it will already not make
the 2.6 cycle anymore, and I hope 2.8 can be really unicode.