[fpc-devel] Status and ideas about debug info (stabs, dwarf / dwar3)

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Mon Sep 12 11:51:41 CEST 2011

On 12/09/2011 10:55, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Martin schrieb:
>
>> More than that, Lazarus is not the only way to use the info, people
>> use other IDEs or gdb directly => all that needs to be considered.
>
> You can't have one tool for everybody and everything. A debugger can
> not (and must not) know about all languages. Language specific support
> IMO should reside in another layer (IDE, plugin...) between the
> debugger and the user.

Never said that. My statement was about pascal (fpc) only.

people debug fpc compiled code, in various ways. some use plain gdb,
others use MSEIDE, some Lazarus, maybe some use other gdb frontends...

Any debug info, encoded into the app must not prevent people from using
any of those methods. That does not mean that all of those must
understand the added info. By far not, only that all of them must not be
stopped from using already present info, just because new info was added.