[fpc-devel] FPDoc and inherited methods

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Sep 11 19:42:17 CEST 2011

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt schrieb:
>
>>> How do I obtain the latest documentation on FPDoc?
>>
>> make fpdoc.pdf in docs.
>
> No Latex support here (Win7)

Then no more recent docs than the official ones on the website.

>>> For records with variant parts, no short descriptions are shown for the
>>> members in the variant part. Parameters for overloaded methods are already
>>> supported, so this extension should not be too hard to implement?
>>
>> Well, in that case presumably you can handle it ?
>
> I'm a user of fpdoc, not a maintainer, have no idea of the internals.

In that case, please do not say things like
   'this extension should not be too hard to implement'
But please, file a bug report so we won't forget.

>>> FPDoc now also doesn't have "html" as the default format, requires an
>>> explicit format parameter.
>>
>> This behaviour has not changed recently.
>
> Well, it's documented as the default, and was working so in some older
> version. I've fpdoc 2.2.4 in my path by default...

2.2.4 ? That is definitely not 'recently' :-)

>>> The handling of the css file still is cryptic. Even with --css-file given
>>> no file is copied. The location seems to have changed to the parent
>>> directory, i.e. docs/html?
>>
>> This behaviour has not changed recently.
>>

>>> The messages have changed.
>>> What does it mean, when a dependency(?) could not be resolved? (heritage,
>>> link, ???)
>>
>> Presumably a class inheritance. Can you post a more clear message ?
>
> new alias #rtl.System.IInterface (IUnknown)
> new alias #rtl.System.IInterface (IUnknown)
> new alias #rtl.System.IInterface (IUnknown)
> TCustomActionList's dependency TLCLComponent could not be resolved
> TArrow's dependency TCustomControl could not be resolved
> TAsyncProcess's dependency TProcessUTF8 could not be resolved

It refers to a parent class. I've adapted the message to be more clear.

>>> What do the "new alias ..." messages mean *to the user*?
>>
>> As far as I can tell, they are debug messages.
>
> How to turn off?

Comment out in code. I think Marco took care of it already.

Michael.