[fpc-devel] FPDoc improvements

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Tue Nov 29 10:09:08 CET 2011

Hans-Peter Diettrich schrieb:

> Unfortunately there remain some problems, e.g. the FPC documentation
> cannot be created on Windows, what is one reason for the extended
> project option, but doesn't allow me to debug this feature with real
> life projects (RTL...).

A "make -n rtl.chk > test.txt" succeeded, at least. Now I suspect some
Windows or RTL commandline limitations, which seem to truncate the long
command lines created by the scripts (4890 chars for rtl.chk).

Now I'll try to implement such a dry-run option for fpdoc, too, that
accepts an command file like created by make -n. This extension, and
more features, could become distinct projects, but for that purpose the
fpdoc.pp file should be splitted into the bare program Run part, and
everything else moved into a new unit. Such a split could be accompanied
by a Lazarus package, created from the fpdoc worker code, that then
could be used immediately in LazDE or further GUI applications.

Another extension should allow to debug and update fpdoc projects, which
currently don't run on Windows. The observed fatal errors can result
from bad XML structure, or from missing include files.

The latter problem, together with the commandline length, restricts the
use of fpdoc to Linux systems, where everything seems to work right now.
But is this a reasonable restriction, which we can tell all FPC users?

DoDi