[fpc-devel] Problem with Now() and time changed by ntpd

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Nov 2 09:31:36 CET 2011

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> One more idea: Do we already have something like NowUTC ? Just like
> Now, but in UTC.
>
> Maybe that would be something interresting to add. Programs that want
> to measure time differences could use it instead of hacking Now.
> NowUTC seams to be much more appropriate for time differences then
> Now, and it would be extremely fast everywhere.

Agreed. Basically, the idea of "time" that underpins timers, which
should fire correctly irrespective of any DST transitions.

But even in this case, what should happen if the user (or NTP)
explicitly changes the system clock? Ultimately, what matters for
relative timing is ticks-since-boot.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk