[fpc-devel] Missing library

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 07:56:58 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Miklos Cserzo
<miklos.cserzo at eok.sote.hu> wrote:
> fpc 2.4.2 gives the following error on SuSE 11.4. What is the name of the
> missing package?
>
> "fp: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory"

This is a library named differently across distributions. There is no
solution here. I don't know what comes with SuSE, but apt-get gets
crazy if you force the installation, so if SuSE comes with something
other then apt-get it should be safe to just force-install.

The standard packages from FPC are built on Fedora I think, so they
are fedora-specific because the distributions didn't take enough care
to ensure that packages can work properly cross-distribution in all
cases.

The only solution is making a second RPM set, which might work on
SuSE, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS.

The dependency to libtinfo.so.5 is added automatically by the RPM
build system by inspecting the executable with ldd, that's why it
can't be removed.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho