[fpc-devel] Linux Signals

Andrew Brunner andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 00:51:00 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Nikolai Zhubr <n-a-zhubr at yandex.ru> wrote:
> What are you trying to achieve ultimately? People tend to avoid using
> signals as much as possible nowadays (for anything beyond some nice handling
> of forced/fatal program termination and such) at least on linux. I'm not
> guru, just somewhat curious (because some time ago I had to re-engineer some
> small networking app, originating from windows, to be cross-platform and
> resource-friendly)

Hi Nikolai,

I'm trying to build a cross platform *event* driven socket signaling
mechanism that does not employ polling algorithms.  When you say
resource-friendly... Do you mean CPU or memory?  I'm looking for
something to work as advertised in the Linux man pages for signals.
If it turns out that signal information is missing via the Kernel - I
have no qualms with submitting a few requests to the proper
channels...