[fpc-devel] Errors with make rtl.chk on Windows

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Sat Dec 3 09:41:10 CET 2011

On 2 Dec 11, at 20:27, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Sven Barth schrieb:
>
> > Out of curiosity: How could/would one create one documentation of source
> > which supports multiple platforms, but where there are identifiers that
> > are only available for some platforms? (like our RTL)
>
> Right, that's a problem - but how many identifiers are really affected?

Probably none for Windows targets because the original Delphi RTL was
designed for Win32. The other platforms sometimes need certain
extensions in order to emulate MS Windows behaviour/APIs not
supported on those platforms, or because fairly basic functionality
of those platforms would be completely left out otherwise (since not
being taken care of by the Delphi designers for obvious reasons).

> IMO the RTL provides a platform-independent API, with not many platform
> specific identifiers. The same situation exists in the LCL, with the
> support of multiple widgetsets.

They're not / should not be many, indeed.

> When ever required, the platform or widgetset specific *units* deserve
> their own documentation (sources) in the first place. Then it's only a
> minor effort to create specialized fpdoc projects, which use the right
> units and create the documentation for them. Every user then can create
> his own customized documentation, with commands as simple as
>    fpdoc -p=winrtl.xml
>    fpdoc -p=gtk2lcl.xml

Sorry, could you elaborate on that a bit, please? Would that allow
producing a complete rtl.inf (or rtl.chm, etc.) with all common parts
together with OS/2 specific extensions (based on the common
description files, obviously extended with those platform specific
elements)? That's something I'd be highly interested in...

Thanks

Tomas