[fpc-devel] Errors with make rtl.chk on Windows

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Dec 2 16:05:06 CET 2011

Michael Van Canneyt schrieb:

> If there are any platform-specific identifiers, the docs have always
> contained the linux-specific ones.

I'm just about to create a Windows version of the RTL docs. In contrast
to the assumption, that one XML file could hold descriptions of multiple
modules, I tested the opposite way: having multiple XML files for one
unit. And it seems to work :-)

This means that we can document platform-specific items in additional
files, which are automatically merged with the other descriptions. The
description file specifications can be extended by a platform attribute,
so that problems arising from multiple (platform specific) descriptions
can be eliminated. E.g.:
         <description file="sysutils.xml"/>
         <description file="linux-sysutils.xml" platform="linux,unix"/>
         <description file="win-sysutils.xml" platform=windows/>

It may make sense to place the platform specific files into dedicated
subdirectories. When fpdoc is extended with description directories,
from which all XML files are collected automatically, it will be
sufficient to provide the platform-specific directories to fpdoc, so
that most explicit --descr items can be removed or replaced by:
         <description file="*.xml"/>
         <description file="windows/*.xml"/>
or
         <description directory="windows"/>