[fpc-devel] RTL docs missing links

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 08:05:37 CET 2011

On 2 December 2011 03:17, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> exist. It doesn't look good when the docs do not include the most basic
> types, like Boolean, Byte, Char, Pointer etc. :-(

Those are all basic built-in types. Built into the compiler, not
defined in the RTL (as far as I know), but rather the System unit,
thus the problem. But it is false to say they are not documented, in
fact they are well documented in the FPC Language Reference document.
But this is not directly reference-able (if there is such a word) from
the RTL fpdoc output.

This is where DocView comes in very handy again. DocView simply
concatenates, at runtime, the Language Reference, RTL and FCL inf
files. So then I see them all in the DocView table of content or
Index, and they are all searchable. This is very handy for a developer
(especially while offline), and why I always hammer the fact that you
need a descent documentation viewer and help file format. Excellent
documentation means nothing if you can search and find something.

  - Graeme -