[fpc-devel] ARM vs Thumb2 - can't have both

David Welch dwelch at dwelch.com
Tue Aug 23 08:39:50 CEST 2011

Most if not all of my references to thumb meant the original ARMv4T
thumb instruction set, definitely not the thumb2 extensions, nor ARMv5
or ARMv6 extensions.

If for example you had a thumb backend to fpc, you could easily solve
this problem, all of these libraries would run on both platforms, one
compiler, one set of libraries, compiled one time.

There is no thumb backend at the moment, this is the first problem to
that solution.

I figure most folks would not want to sink to the lowest common
denominator.

I would then recommend splitting the arm/arm7/ARMv4 architecture from
the cortex-m3/ARMv7m, as implemented now they are two incompatible
instruction sets.  One instruction set happens to share the name of the
company, move beyond that sticking point and create two architectures.

The third alternative is do what others do and build two sets of
libraries, one for each cpu type if that is the preferred term to
distinguish arm and thumb2.  Even if they are in the same library file
but by name the linker extracts the arm cpu whatsit function from the
thumb2 cpu whatsit function it is still two compilations of the whatsit
function.

You really have to pick one of those solutions, same instruction set or
compile the libraries twice either as two arches build one or the other
but not both, or two cpus within an arch and both/all cpus for an arch
get built when the arch compiler is built.

David