[fpc-devel] ARM vs Thumb2 - can't have both

John Clymer john at johnclymer.net
Mon Aug 22 07:15:44 CEST 2011

Yes, all my references of Thumb meant Thumb2.

The problem is not building the compiler - the compiler works correctly
supporting Thumb2 and ARM.

The problems is building the libraries.  Doing a standard build process, the
compile chain gets into the rtl/embedded folder.  It makes one pass through and
compiles the SYSTEM unit.  This gets built in whatever mode the crosscompiler
has been told to be in.  It defaults to ARM code, unless told to Thumb2 code
(via a CROSSOPT=-Cpcortexm3 on the MAKE command line - or via an override in the
RTL.CFG file in the embedded folder.)

Now, if it's in Thumb2 mode - it compiles the STM32 and STELLARIS unit files
fine, and makes a Thumb2 SYSTEM ppu.  But, then it chokes on compiling the ARM
controller unit files.

BUT - if it's in ARM mode, it will compile everything, including the start-up
routines for the Thumb2 parts - in full blown ARM mode.  This will make the
compiler finish it's job.   BUT attempting to run anything on a M3 device will
fail - as the M3 can NOT run ARM code.

So, in order to get a working setup for an M3 device, one needs to manually
remove the ARM controller files from the makefile, then re-build with
-Cpcortexm3 in the RTL.CFG file in the embedded folder (or it could be added to
the Makefile) - OR the make "clean buildbase installbase" line needs to have a
CROSSOPT=-Cpcortexm3 added.  Otherwise the system and startup files end up being
ARM files.

<ARCH> is ARM - but that is NOT the code generation, that is strictly because
the company's name is ARM.
<SYSTEM> is "embedded" - as that's what I'm building
<CPUTYPE>  (not referenced in any build files) is either ARM (for ARMV3-V5) OR
Thumb2 (for Cortex M3 OR armv7m)

Again, the compiler builds just fine - it's the RTL that has the issue.  If you
are having troubles building for Cortex, the magic that I'm using to make it
work is:

make clean buildbase installbase CROSSINSTALL=1 OS_TARGET=embedded
CPU_TARGET=arm CROSSBINDIR=/home/stimey/CodeSourcery/bin
BINUTILSPREFIX=arm-none-eabi-  CROSSOPT=-Cpcortexm3
INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/stimey/fpc

The CROSSOPT item forces the RTL to be compiled as M3 / Thumb2.

John