[fpc-devel] Delphi XE2 uses FPC for iOS target

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 23:57:13 CEST 2011

On 15 August 2011 10:48, Michael Schnell wrote:

> I never tried this, but I feel that IDEs (integrating code editor, GUI
> designer, make process, and debugger) have been invented for a purpose.

I agree with all except the "gui designer" part. Layout Managers are
by far the better choice compared to something like Delphi or Lazarus
or MSEgui and even fpGUI's UI Designer gives. Java hit the nail on the
head. Why define a UI with co-ordinates, then sit with problems like
overlapping components, components that don't scale, locked to a
specific DPI etc. I have also seen to many developers "fight" with GUI
Designers to try and get them to do what the developer actually wants.
I think Lazarus improved a lot over Delphi here, but Lazarus's
designer is still way to complicated and error prone for complex UI's.
Look at all the settings in the Align/Anchor property editors, yet
often you still have to code some UI rules irrespectively. With good
layout managers everything is easy - no matter how complex the UI.

  - Graeme -