[fpc-devel] FPC 2.6.x branched, trunk becomes 2.7.1

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 17:50:27 CEST 2011

On 4 August 2011 17:09, Jonas Maebe wrote:
> last minute changes have been committed. Quickly committing a bunch of major
> changes would mainly serve to delay the branching, or they might not be
> included in the branch anyway.

Fair enough.

The changes I am referring to was discussed in private by a few
developers, and I believe it was implemented about a year ago, so not
really "last minute". It's new code that adds additional functionality
to existing RTL classes, but will not affect any existing projects. We
have done the exact same in tiOPF's base classes and it didn't break a
single application or any of our 1600+ unit tests.

Michael van C. simply hasn't had time to commit it to FPC trunk - he
seems to be rather busy these days, but that's no fault of his.  I
also didn't feel right to nag him about it either, so didn't. I guess
I'm just a bit upset that this seems to be a regular occurrence to
features I need. It will now probably have to wait another 2 years or
so before we can build onto that functionality, but one consolation
prize is that the "implements" language feature will now work
correctly and can be used. I like many others only use Stable or Fixes
branches for production code.  Oh well, lets hope for better luck in
2-3 years time. :)

  - Graeme -