[fpc-devel] Alternative parsers

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Tue Oct 19 14:14:43 CEST 2010

Am 19.10.2010 14:02, schrieb Alexander Klenin:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 22:44, Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:
>> Am 19.10.2010 11:08, schrieb Juha Manninen (gmail):
>>> First Pascal-like languages and later C.
>>> FPC's main developer doesn't see a need for it.
>>
>> Indeed. Please tell what a C front end to FPC helps? FPC has no
>> advantage over existing C compilers except being a pascal compiler ;).
>> Do you think any C developer will work on a C compiler written in
>> pascal? It won't make interfacing C headers easier as explained multiple
>> times. So what do you expect from a C front end?
>
> Actually, I certainly think (and hope) that DoDi's goal is _not_ a "C frontend",
> but to find _any_ possible venue to upgrade the code structure of FPC code.

The topic of this thread and the patch was/is alternative parsers. As
you worked on the case of string stuff (or your student) you might also
know that the fpc parser is written straight forward and anybody knowing
the dragon books might be able to work on it and far from being fragile.
This why I see no use in the patch: the parser is understandable,
maintainable and reasonable fast.

Fragile are other parts: e.g. unit loading.