[fpc-devel] revision.inc

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sat Nov 13 14:15:08 CET 2010

In our previous episode, Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis said:

For the record: I'm only writing as I discover this functionality. I knew
Lazarus did something like this, but not the details and hows.

> >> the CollabNet command line tools.
> >
> > That require registration, I use these:
> >
> > https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32svn/
>
> Thx, for the tip.But IMHO the majority of the windows users are using
> TortoiseSVN, so a solution which include the TortoiseSVN's SubWCRev
> alternative for the svn's 'svnversion' will be better.

I put $WCREV$  in a file revision.inc.template and then ran

subwcrev . revision.inc.template revision.inc

in the compiler/ dir. This is doable to do in batch or makefile I'll look
into it later.

> > Is that binary in the path? If not you have to pass it:
>
> I run 'svnversion' at the compiler dir from the command line, so yes it's
> in the path.

> AFAIU, the Makefile failed to find the 'svnversion' executable
> in my Windows 7 64 bit machine. That's why i posted the line from the
> Makefile.

I think it is a functionality that doesn't auto engage, since it could
possibly slow building or put useless suffixes like "exported" in binaries
when not properly used. Setting SVNVERSION makefile param activates it.

It should be easy to make something similar for subwcrev, I'll have a look
at that later.