[fpc-devel] Threading support and C library under Linux/Unix

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 12:40:53 CEST 2010

OK, the subject sounded vaguely familiar, so when I Googled it, I found my
own posting back in 2009 asking the same questions. :-)  I'll extend the
wiki multi-threading page with the answers that was given last time.

Just another question. Windows gets its threading support from the Win API.
Similar for OS/2. Doesn't the Linux kernel have a similar threading API, or
do they just rely on the C library?

If not, then I gather the C library (libc, glibc or whatever is used these
days) implemented threading in C code using the POSIX spec as the guide. So
couldn't one implement the POSIX spec (thinking of threading support only)
in pure Object Pascal?

Does the Qt framework also rely on the GNU C library, or do they have there
own threading implementation?

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/