[fpc-devel] (Re)compiling FPC or is there something like fpc.bpg?

Adem listmember at letterboxes.org
Mon Jul 19 05:20:14 CEST 2010

  [Please bear with me while I am trying to formulate this question; it
is a tough one to do succinctly]

If I am not mistaken, a version X of FPC is guaranteed to be compilable
with version (X - 1).

If that is so, I am assuming, one would not have to 'make' version X;
meaning you could compile version X with the binaries form (X -1) if you
had something like fpc.bpg (i.e. project group).

The reason I am aiming for fpc.bpg is to avoid the problem of 'no spaces
in file paths' problem.

Even though 'fpc.bpg' does not exist, it seems all the information
necessary to genereate one is there in the numerous 'fpmake.pp' units in
the 'source' directory.

Now the questions:

1) Does the 'fpmake.pp's contain all necessary information to generate a
'fpc.bpg'?

2) If yes, would it be possible to use this newly generated 'fpc.bpg' to
compile a new version of FPC without worrying about spaces in paths?
[I.e. does 'make' perform any 'deus ex machina' tricks that fpc.exe
itself cannot?]

3) If yes, how much of the previous version's 'bin' folder would have to
be there to compile 'fpc.bpg'?
[There are some 69 binaries under 'bin', totalling some 7.5 MB; I'd like
to cut it down to a bare minimum if possible.]