[fpc-devel] Fpsigprocmask

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Jan 21 09:26:44 CET 2010

In our previous episode, Martin Schreiber said:
> > That's still no reason to not use the supported routines. One can even
> > simply recompile the RTL to have the normal routines use libc (a feature
> > that is in production for e.g. OS X)
> >
> I trust more in libc than in FPC routines, libc is propably better adapted to
> the actual kernel. MSEgui tries to be Kylix3 compatible where the FPC
> routines are missing.

fpsigprocmask exists, and from this thread, I gather the signature is not
compatible there too. Moreover libc and kernel are versioned differently.

There are differences, but they are very rare, and more in the realm of the
user (which is libc based btw) and netdb packages.

> Using the libc compiler switch is no option because
> users may depend on the default non libc RTL.
> If you answer: "There is no difference" - many software features are OK until
> real usage only. ;-)

The fp* routines have been in use since 2003. They are in realtime use.

> > As far as I can see, providing own headers is just a compatibility hazard
> > with no real benefit.
>
> FPC libc does not support x84_64-linux.

Over the supported units obviously. unit libc was always a Kylix legacy
interface.