[fpc-devel] Re: Ubuntu 9.10 x64 AMD Debugging multi-threaded system impossible

Anton Kavalenka anton.k at tut.by
Wed Feb 3 19:02:44 CET 2010

Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 03 Feb 2010, at 04:57, Jonathan wrote:
>
>> Andrew Brunner <andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Problem solved: Project options for debugging (at least under Ubuntu
>>> x64) required extra information file...
>>>
>>> Project Options,
>>> Compiler Options,
>>> Linking,
>>> Debugging: Check Use external gdb debug symbols file (-Xg)
>>>
>>> Fixed my GDB resulting in X-Windows desktop manager crash for Ubuntu
>>> X64 on trace.
>>
>> That is good to know, I was using the guide at
>> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Multithreaded_Application_Tutorial.
>> Maybe you could update it please?
>
> If you do so, please only mention it is as a tip that apparently might
> help if you have problems. There is no reason why using an external
> debug file should make any difference whatsoever, regardless of
> whether you are debugging a single or multi-threaded program.
>

> Jonas
Dear FPC-All

Debugging in GTK2-Linux of multithreaded GUI is a pain.
Some notes:
I have debugged with Eclipse C++ .so with LCL application as host,
Eclipse hangs as well.
and entire X stops responding  (seems like X event loop was blocked).
Switching to Text console and killing host application brings desktop to
life, but this did not help in debugging :-(

Regards, Anton