[fpc-devel] fpdoc's RTF output

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Aug 24 11:20:43 CEST 2010

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi
>
> Has anybody been using the RTF output writer of fpdoc?  I had a closer look
> at it last night, and the output (formatting) looks pretty horrible when
> viewed using OpenOffice 2.4.

This is a known problem :-)

> Now I know you get tons of version of RTF and it also depends on what RTF
> viewer you are using (WordPad, OpenOffice, MS Office, Abiword, etc). So I'm
> not sure if the horrible formatting is caused by OpenOffice - maybe it
> looks perfect when viewed using MS Office?  Could somebody comment on this?

Nono, formatting was the least of our worries. We were glad to get it
working at all. Patches with improvements are most welcome.

> The reason I ask. I think generating RTF docs, opening it with OpenOffice,
> and then exporting it to PDF is a lot more accessible to users that
> downloading and installing the 250MB support files for Latex to work. Just
> a thought.

The plan is to create PDF directly, as soon as I have a suitable PDF
rendering engine which can be included in FPC.

> BTW:
> I played around with the RTF output writer last night and modified the code
> to at least get hyperlinking inside the RTF document to work (using
> OpenOffice 2.4). Then exported it to a PDF with OpenOffice - the
> hyperlinking still worked! Cool! :)

Can you share the patches ?

Michael.